Work Equipment Hazards & Control
Work equipment generally is any equipment used at work and includes the following:
- hand tools, such as hammers, chisels, screwdrivers, spanners, knives, meat cleavers, saws, scissors, etc.
- machines, such as drilling machines, portable power tools, floor polishing machines, power presses, circular saws, photocopiers, dumper trucks, motor vehicles, excavating equipment, etc.
- lifting equipment, such as fork-lift trucks, vehicle hoists, lifting slings, patient bath lifts, etc.
- other equipment, such as ladders, kick stools, water pressure cleaners, etc.
All work equipment has the potential to cause problems in the workplace. If we you fail to manage the risks associated with the use of work equipment, you could be putting the person using that piece of equipment and others at risk. Everyone uses work equipment to a greater or lesser degree as part of his or her work. You must make sure that you manage the risks associated with the use of work equipment. By selecting suitable equipment, maintaining it properly, and training people to use the equipment correctly, risks to employees and others can be minimised.
Legal Duties and Obligations around Work Equipment
The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER)
These Regulations include provisions relating to all aspects of work equipment, from ensuring that employers identify and purchase appropriate work equipment, to maintenance and training on safe use. Many previous requirements relating to the guarding of machinery are included in these Regulations. The Regulations also detail specific requirements in relation to power presses and mobile equipment.
The Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER) 1998
These Regulations make specific requirements with regards to lifting equipment, including equipment used to lift people.
More Health and Safety Consultants services and products
- Health & Safety Advice
- Appointed Health & Safety Advisor Service
- Health & Safety Management Systems
- Health & Safety Audits
- Health & Safety Policy
- Health & Safety Training
- Noise at Work
- Monitoring Review Audit
- Risk Assessment
- Safe Systems of Work
Get quotes for other Health Safety services and products
Envico Ltd protect your privacy and security