Manual Handling Awareness Course
This Manual Handling Awareness e-learning course helps organisations to protect the welfare of employees who have a responsibility to handle, lift and carry items. According to the HSE, more than 20% of all non-fatal workplace injuries in the UK are caused by incorrect handling, lifting and carrying. Most are musculoskeletal injuries, which are the third most common cause of absence from work, exceeded only by stress and colds/flu.
It is in the interest of every employer to make sure that all employees have sufficient manual handling training. It is also their legal duty under the Manual Handling Regulations 1992 (MHOR). This law sets out requirements for handling everything from animals and people to boxes and packages.
Who is the online Manual Handling Awareness Course Suitable For?
This online manual handling course is suitable for all employees who are required to engage in manual handling or responsible for moving heavy loads, in all occupations and at all levels. This awareness training course helps you to meet your legal obligations as an employer.
What’s Included in the Manual Handling Awareness Course?
The manual handling awareness course covers the following topics:
- Definition of manual handling.
- The manual handling problem.
- Manual handling law.
- Avoiding manual handling.
- Reducing risks from manual handling.
- Manual handling risk factors, including TILE (task, individual, load and environment).
- Structure, function and anatomy of the spine.
- Common manual handling injuries.
- Advice for sufferers of back pain.
- Safe lifting technique.
- Safe pushing and pulling technique.
- End of course assessment.
- Know how to lift safely.
- Use correct lifting techniques and correct bad postural habits
- Understand the consequences of unsafe manual handling.
- Understand how to carry out risk assessment to reduce risk
- Be compliant with the relevant legislation.
Assessment and Certification
There is a multiple-choice assessment at the end of the course, with results provided immediately. A completion certificate is given to successful candidates.
Employees who take this course benefit from the support of expert tutors and gain access to a Facebook community group – ideal for connecting with other candidates.
The manual handling course is a single programme that takes around 30 minutes to complete.