NEBOSH International General Certificate Distance Learning
The NEBOSH International General Certificate distance learning course is aimed at managers, supervisors and employee representatives are who based outside the UK. It is also intended for those who are embarking on a career in health and safety. The course provides a valuable foundation for further professional study.
This NEBOSH International General Certificate is studied via distance learning. You will be provided with course materials which will also include study/revision/exam advice, support details and your study planner.
Support is offered by expert health and safety tutors, whom you can contact by telephone or email. You will also have access to a Facebook group specifically for distance learning students, where you can discuss any aspects of your studies with tutors and other students.
You can enrol at any time. The course can be studied in your own time, with total flexibility around your available hours.
Recommended study hours: 108 hours
This course is also available via our e-learning study method.
Distance Learning Programme
Unit IG1: Management of Health and Safety
- Element 1 – Why we should manage workplace health and safety
- Element 2 – How health and safety management systems work and what they look like
- Element 3 – Managing risk – understanding people and processes
- Element 4 – Health and safety monitoring and measuring
Unit IG2: Risk Assessment
- Element 5 – Physical and psychological health
- Element 6 – Musculoskeletal health
- Element 7 – Chemical and biological agents
- Element 8 – General workplace issues
- Element 9 – Work equipment
- Element 10 – Fire
- Element 11 – Electricity
What Has Changed?
The course is now only two units (IG1 & IG2) and the content has been restructured and updated to reflect modern Health & Safety practices in 2020. The net result is a small reduction in the overall study hours.
The major change is with the assessment where there is now only one exam and one practical assessment.
Unit IG1 is examined by a formal 2 hour written exam (replacing IGC1)
Unit IG2 is assessed by a practical assessment (this is a longer assessment than the previous GC3)
What I will know once I have successfully completed the course?
- How to effectively manage health and safety
- How to identify and control common workplace hazards
- How to measure if you’ve been successful
- ILO key standards and requirements
- Confidently carry out risk assessments
- Develop and implement a detailed action plan
- Manage and minimise workplace risks
- Support and develop your company’s health and safety culture
The updated course now features one written exam and one practical exam:
- Unit IG1 (replacing IGC1) includes an Open Book Exam, which you can do from home.
- Unit IG2 is assessed by a practical assessment, which is longer than the previous GC3 assessment.
What is an Open Book Exam?
An open book exam assesses the same learning outcomes as an invigilated, paper-based exam. With an open book exam, you can have access to textbooks, course notes and the internet.
You can complete an open book exam in your own home, or another suitable location. You will have up to 24 hours to complete the NEBOSH open book exam, but we find that most candidates only take 4 – 5 hours.
The open book exam will assess your ability to apply your knowledge, as well as testing your analytical and critical thinking skills.
What is a closing interview?
Following the open book exam is a short closing interview, which takes approximately 15 minutes. The purpose of the interview is to confirm that the work you have submitted is your own and that you did not have any assistance in completing your NEBOSH assessment.
The closing interview takes place via video call, which you can access via smartphone, tablet or computer.
The interviewer will ask to see identification, you need to provide either your passport, driving license or national identity card. The interviewer needs to see the room that you are in to ensure you don’t have access to notes during the interview.
The interviewer will ask you questions based on your open book exam, your work and your submission.
Your closing interview is not an assessment, so you won’t receive a mark. If the interviewer is happy that the work is your own, your mark will be published in line with NEBOSH timeframes.
External examiners mark all assessments and are appointed by NEBOSH. Each examiner is chosen for their experience and expertise, ensuring candidates are assessed by the best in our industry.
This qualification is accredited by the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH), as well as the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM).
NEBOSH IGC Certification
This modern qualification combines activities, learning and interactive materials to provide you with an interesting and engaging experience. It focuses on key skills that means you can instantly apply the knowledge you gain and add value to your organisation.
The course now consists of 2 assessments:
- 2 hour written paper to assess what you know
- practical risk assessment to assess what you can do based on your workplace
Both assessments are marked by external examiners appointed by NEBOSH. These examiners are chosen for their experience and expertise to ensure that learners are assessed by the very best from our industry
- Johannesburg, South Africa
- Durban, South Africa
- Cape Town, South Africa
- Bloemfontein, South Africa
- British Councils in other countries
The pass rate for this course is over 90% and our candidates also achieve a high number of Credits and Distinctions.
The price includes course materials and unlimited tutor support. Exam fees are additional.
When studying via distance learning you don’t pay for your exam upfront — you choose your preferred exam dates and pay later directly with the training provider after you’ve booked the course.
Exam Prices for Distance Learning Students
- 1 x Written exam (NGC1, GC2, FC1, NCC1, EC1, IGC1): £99 exc. VAT (held at one of our venues)
- Practical Assessment (EC2, FC2, GC3, NCC2): £50 exc. VAT
- Oil & Gas Certificate (IOG1): £120 exc. VAT (held at one of our venues)
- NGC Open Book Exam (NG1, IG1, NGC1, IGC1): £120 exc. VAT
- NGC New syllabus practical assessment (NG2 IG2): £85 exc. VAT
- NEBOSH Diploma Enrolment Fee: £60
- NEBOSH Diploma written exam fee per unit: £135 excl. VAT (held at one of our venues)
- NEBOSH Diploma unit DNI exam: £99 excl. VAT