NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety
The NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety course is a widely recognised qualification for general safety responsibilities. This nationally recognised health and safety certificate for managers is extremely well recognised and sought after by employers in the United Kingdom. The qualification gives employers peace-of-mind that they have a competent person in place to manage workplace safety on a daily basis.
This accredited NEBOSH General Certificate is for personnel e.g. managers, supervisors, non-safety specialists etc with health and safety responsibilities and who need a grounding and recognised qualification in occupational health and safety.
NEBOSH Certificate Course Content
Delegates who attend this NEBOSH Certificate will learn to:
- Understand the legal framework, moral and economic requirements and implications for good standards in safety and health within an organisation.
- Develop, promote and communicate an effective safety culture in an organisation.
- Identify the key features of a health and safety policy, the preparations and performance review of a health & safety audit.
- Understand the importance of proactive and reactive health and safety monitoring measures.
- Identify hazards in the workplace and how to conduct a risk assessment, record findings and review procedures.
- Advise on strategies for controlling hazards, reducing risks and applying safe systems of work.
- Identify fire hazards and consequential risks, advise on measures to minimise fire risks and develop fire procedures.
- Identify ill health effects of physical processes of work and the environment and recommend suitable measures to combat risks.
- Explain the processes and procedures for investigating and reporting accidents at work.
How is the NEBOSH Course is Assessed
If you are thinking about undertaking the NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety qualification we recommend that you research the qualification prior to booking and paying for your course. The training is in-depth and requires your time, effort and willingness to successfully complete the course.
Below we have provided some information about how the NEBOSH course is assessed:
You will be subjected to three exam units:
- NGC1 – Management of Health and Safety
- GC2 – Controlling Workplace Hazards
- GC3 – Practical Assessment
Exam Units NGC1 & GC2
The first two units (NGC1 and GC2) of the course are taught units and each is assessed by a two-hour written exam under traditional examination conditions. The units each consist of ten questions which require short written answers in addition to one question which requires a far more lengthy answer. All questions on the exam papers are compulsory and therefore you must not leave any questions un-answered.
Exam Unit NGC3 – The Practical Examination / Assignment
The third and final unit of the exam (GC3) is assessed by a two-hour practical exam. The examination is conducted in the candidate’s own workplace. Candidates are given 14 days in which to complete the practical risk assessment / assignment.
This paperwork is explained during the course by the tutor. It is assessed by the programme organiser and externally moderated by the National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH). It is the delegates responsibility to submit their assessment within the timescale, any assessments not returned by the deadline will result in the delegate failing the course.
If candidates are successful in passing one or more units they will be awarded a NEBOSH certificate for each unit passed. Candidates who are successful in completing all three units will be given the overall qualification parchment (NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety).
It is recommended that delegates have previously attended, passed and hold a current IOSH Managing Safely qualification, however please note that it is not a pre-requisite to attend.
Alternative & More Flexible Learning Options Available
If you would prefer to study in the comfort of your own home or workplace instead of a classroom setting, we offer the NEBOSH General Certificate E-learning version of the course. All you need is a personal computer with access to broadband internet to study online at your own pace and convenience.
Alternatively we offer the NEBOSH General Certificate Distance Learning version of the course. This is the cheapest option. Course materials are delivered in the form of a ring-bound folder accompanied by a USB drive.
What to Consider Before You Book!
- is the training provider accredited to deliver the course?
- how often does the training provider cancel courses?
- what have others said about the course?
- is the training delivered at a suitable venue and location?
- is the course fee competitive?
- what is included in the price?
Tips on How to Get Value for Money!
NEBOSH courses can be expensive and although the cost of a NEBOSH General Certificate should be factored into your decision-making, the quality of the training provider and the course should be considered. Like everything else, training fees and the quality of the course delivery may vary depending on which accredited training provider and instructor deliver it.
High quality NEBOSH training saves lives, so for the sake of your managers and the workers they are responsible for – it’s wise to consider the quality factors rather than just the cost.