NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
The NEBOSH National General Certificate course is a widely recognised qualification for general safety responsibilities. This nationally certificate for managers is extremely well recognised and sought after by employers in the United Kingdom. The training and qualification gives employers peace-of-mind that they have a competent person in place to manage workplace safety on a daily basis.
This accredited occupational health and safety qualification and training is suitable for personnel e.g. managers, supervisors, non-safety specialists etc with health and safety responsibilities and who need a grounding and recognised qualification in occupational health and safety.
NEBOSH General Certificate Course Content
Delegates who attend this classroom version of the NEBOSH General Certificate course will learn to:
- Understand the legal framework, moral and economic requirements and implications for good standards in safety and health within an organisation.
- Develop, promote and communicate an effective safety culture in an organisation.
- Identify the key features of a health and safety policy, the preparations and performance review of a health & safety audit.
- Understand the importance of proactive and reactive health and safety monitoring measures.
- Identify hazards in the workplace and how to conduct a risk assessment, record findings and review procedures.
- Advise on strategies for controlling hazards, reducing risks and applying safe systems of work.
- Identify fire hazards and consequential risks, advise on measures to minimise fire risks and develop fire procedures.
- Identify ill health effects of physical processes of work and the environment and recommend suitable measures to combat risks.
- Explain the processes and procedures for investigating and reporting accidents at work.
How is the Training Assessed?
This career-enhancing qualification combines activities, learning and interactive materials, creating an engaging experience. It provides knowledge you can put into action immediately, adding value to your organisation.
The updated NEBOSH National General Certificate course now consists of two assessments:
Assessed by a scenario based assessment completed at home. You have 24 hours to complete this. The NG1 exam is undertaken at home in what is called an “Open Book” exam. Exam papers will be sent at a notified time and you will then have 24 hours to complete and return them. The exam should only take a few hours to complete and the 24 hours is to meet the needs of all learners in different time zones around the world. The exam itself comprises scenario based questions, where you will be given a set scenario(s) and asked questions which test the knowledge you would have gained studying the course. You will be able to access books, but must document all the sources you reference. This is extremely important as NEBOSH will be using software to check that answers are not just copied from textbooks.
Assessed by a three hour practical assessment carried out in your workplace (or another suitable workplace)
Both assessments are marked by external examiners, appointed by the National Examination Board for Occupational Safety & Health (NEBOSH) and chosen for their experience and expertise.
If you are thinking about undertaking the NEBOSH General Certificate course we recommend that you research the qualification prior to booking and paying for your course. The training is in-depth and requires your time, effort and willingness to successfully complete the course.
If candidates are successful in passing one or more units they will be awarded a NEBOSH certificate for each unit passed. Candidates who are successful in completing all three units will be given the overall qualification parchment (NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety).
It is recommended that delegates have previously attended, passed and hold a current IOSH Managing Safely qualification, however please note that this is not a pre-requisite.
What else do you need to consider?
- is the training provider accredited to deliver the qualification?
- how often does the NEBOSH training provider cancel scheduled courses?
- what have other customers said?
- is the training delivered at a suitable venue and location?
- are the NEBOSH course fees competitive?
- what’s included in the price?
Here are some valuable tips on how to get value for money!
NEBOSH training can be expensive and although the cost of a NEBOSH General Certificate course should be factored into your decision-making, the overall package and quality of the training and provider should be considered. Like everything else, course fees and the quality of the training may vary depending on which training provider and instructor deliver.
It’s important to note that high quality health and safety training saves lives. It’s wise to consider the quality factors in addition to the cost of your training course.
Online Study Option
We offer the NEBOSH General Certificate online course as an alternative study option. All you need is a recent handheld device, modern laptop or personal computer and access to reliable broadband internet. You can study online at home or at work at your own pace and convenience.
Other Courses Which May be of Interest
The below occupational and site safety courses are aimed at supervisors and managers and may be of interest. These provide an introduction to risk assessment training and health and safety management.
- IOSH Managing Safely
- SMSTS – Site Manager Safety Training Scheme
- SSSTS – Site Supervisor Safety Training Scheme