The CITB SMSTS Refresher course is aimed towards individuals who hold a current Site Management Safety Training Scheme certificate and wish to renew their qualification for another five years. The training is designed to ensure that personnel maintain and update their current health and safety knowledge. The refresher course covers changes to legislation, approved codes of practice and best working practice within the industry.
Individuals wishing to renew their SMSTS certificate must provide a copy of the original five-day course certificate. Details of the training venue and the date of the course should also be provided if known. Only those individuals who have passed the five day SMSTS course and provided evidence of this will be eligible to take the two day refresher course.
Objectives of the Refresher Training
Upon completion of this SMSTS Refresher training, candidates will be able to:
- Appreciate recent developments in construction legislation accident causes, costs and reasons for prevention
- Understand the legal system, relevant legislation, Approved Codes of Practice, Guidance Notes Codes of Practice and Case Law
- Conduct risk assessments
- Monitor health and safety performance
- Understand best practice in the management of sub-contractors
- Disseminate information to operatives and sub-contractors.
SMSTS Refresher Course Content
- Introduction to Health and Safety Management
- Managing Health and Safety
- Responsibilities of Supervisors and Managers
- Measuring and Auditing health and safety performance
- Control of hazards and risks
- 2 days
All SMSTS certificates issued by the CITB after 1st January 2001 are valid for a five year period from the date of issue.
- Photographic I.D. is required for all delegates
- Written parental consent is required for all delegates under 18 years of age
- Failure to provide this on the first day of the course is likely to result in the delegate not being allowed to attend or complete the training.