Introducing the SMSTS Refresher Course
The CITB SMSTS Refresher course is aimed towards individuals who hold a current Site Management Safety Training Scheme certificate and wish to renew their qualification for another five years. The training is designed to ensure that personnel maintain and update their current health and safety knowledge. The refresher course covers changes to legislation, approved codes of practice and best working practice within the industry.
Individuals wishing to renew their SMSTS certificate must provide a copy of the original five-day course certificate. Details of the training venue and the date of the course should also be provided if known. Only those individuals who have passed the five day SMSTS course and provided evidence of this will be eligible to take the two day refresher course.
SMSTS Refresher Course Content
- Introduction to Health and Safety Management
- Managing Health and Safety
- Responsibilities of Supervisors and Managers
- Measuring and Auditing health and safety performance
- Control of hazards and risks
Upon completion of this SMSTS Refresher training, candidates will be able to:
- Appreciate recent developments in construction legislation accident causes, costs and reasons for prevention
- Understand the legal system, relevant legislation, Approved Codes of Practice, Guidance Notes Codes of Practice and Case Law
- Conduct risk assessments
- Monitor health and safety performance
- Understand best practice in the management of sub-contractors
- Disseminate information to operatives and sub-contractors.
- 2 days
Assessment is continuous throughout the SMSTS Refresher training via individual and group exercises. Testing of the knowledge learned during the five days is in the form of a multiple choice CITB examination paper consisting of 25 questions. 5 of the questions will be safety critical and will require a short written answer.
Safety critical questions are worth 1-3 points each and multiple choice questions are worth 1 point each. To pass the course successfully delegates will be required to answer all of the safety critical questions correctly. The pass the exam a score of 80% (28 out of 35) will be required.
Successful candidates will be awarded the Site Safety Plus CITB Construction Site Management Safety Training Certificate (SMSTS). This certificate will remain valid for 5 years.
The two day SMSTS Refresher course will enable current certificate holders to renew their qualification, however this course can only be attended by current and valid CITB SMSTS certificate holders. In the event the certificate has expired they will be required to attend the full five day course again.
All SMSTS certificates issued by the CITB after 1st January 2001 are valid for a five year period from the date of issue.
Full attendance throughout the duration of the training is required. All delegates must have a good understanding of written & spoken English. (Please note that translators are not permitted to attend).
- Photographic I.D. is required for all delegates
- Written parental consent is required for all delegates under 18 years of age
- Failure to provide this on the first day of the course is likely to result in the delegate not being allowed to attend or complete the training.
CITB Site Safety Plus Publication / Workbooks
All CITB Site Safety Plus courses advertised on our website include access to Construction Site Skills publications. Dependent on the accredited CITB training provider, delegates are given the option of taking away training materials in the following formats
- hard copy workbooks
- access to a materials online