SEATS – Site Environmental Awareness Training Scheme
Environmental issues are of great importance in today’s world, especially to those who work within the construction industry. The SEATS course is designed to teach organisations about the benefits of good environmental management as well as demonstrating the process of how workers can take steps to improve their effect on the environment.
When organisations are able to carry out effective environmental management this can bring with it many benefits including cost savings, a good corporate image and the attraction that comes with new investment. This course is aimed at workers who would like to increase their knowledge of quality environmental working practices. It is designed to give an awareness of environmental issues that might have an effect on their organisation.
The environmental awareness course is one day in duration and is suitable for staff that have supervisory or management responsibilities. It will ensure that these managers and supervisors have the basic environmental knowledge that is required by the subcontract chain and will be requested by major contractors. The course also covers all of the environmental aspects of the new touch screen version of the Health and Safety and Environment test. The CITB SEATS course is set up so that participants will learn via case studies and classroom-based tutorials.
CITB SEATS Course Content
This SEATS course content will cover a number of important topics, including:
- Why it is important to pay attention to environmental issues in the construction industry and why it is necessary to develop environmental management systems
- Best practice techniques for environmental safety in the workplace
- Legal compliance for environmental regulations within the construction industry
- Understanding how each of the these important issues affects how work is carried out on the construction site
- Techniques for proper waste management within the construction industry
- Issues related to being a good neighbour, such as heritage, communication, archaeology and statutory nuisance
- How best to manage energy and resources and use them efficiently
- Guidance for being a responsible contractor when it comes to environmental issues
These are just a few of the very important topics that are covered in the CITB SEATS course. Each of the course sessions will end with important dos and don’ts, as well as sources for further information. Course participants are encouraged to ask questions and participate in discussion.
New Legislation for Construction Workers on Build UK Sites
New legislation is coming in to effect from March 2015 for all construction workers on Build UK sites. Build UK are the primary association for construction contractors operating in the UK. The legislation stipulates that all construction workers have to illustrate that they are doing everything they can to reduce the environmental impact of their activities. This will effect all member companies who have to demonstrate they have the environmental knowledge and skills to undertake their roles effectively. One of the training courses to demonstrate this & ensure compliance to the standard is via CITB’s SEATS. This is mandatory to all Build UK sites.
- Photographic I.D. is required for all delegates
- Written parental consent is required for all delegates under 18 years of age
- Failure to provide this on the first day of the course is likely to result in the delegate not being allowed to attend or complete the training.
CITB Levy Payers