CITB SMSTS Course – Site Safety Plus
The CITB SMSTS course (Site Management Safety Training Scheme) is ideal for those in any role of responsibility within the construction industry. It is strongly regarded by many as the best construction safety management qualification available. Site manager education is delivered to over ten thousand people each year. It will provide you with a thorough health and safety background within the current legal guidelines.
The qualification teaches the skills required to maintain a safe construction site. It should not be confused with the 2-day SSSTS as the Site Supervisor Safety Training Scheme is a less senior qualification.
Classroom Course Dates and Venues
View hundreds of SMSTS course dates scheduled at public venues in most major towns and cities throughout the UK.
SMSTS Online Study Option!
Yes, the Site Management Safety Training Scheme rules have been implemented by the Construction Industry Training Board to enable individuals to attend the SMSTS online. The online study method involves studying at home or in the workplace using video technology assisted by a live tutor. If u prefer to study in the classroom please continue reading on this page.
Site Managers Have a Legal Duty
As a construction project manager, site manager or a supervisor you have a legal duty to ensure the safety and health of fellow workers and the public. There are laws and regulations with which you are required to adhere. Managers have a moral duty to do all that is possible to prevent accidents and injuries. Education in construction safety is a necessity and a requirement. Attending and successfully completing the SMSTS course shows you comply with these laws.
Is the SMSTS Course Accredited?
The qualification is accredited by the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB) and is part of the Site Safety Plus suite of courses. CITB SMSTS certification is an indication of the competence of a Site Manager according to the Approved Code of Practice (ACoP) for the CDM Regulations. The qualification is ideal for Site Managers as well as proprietors of construction companies, project managers and supervisors. BuildUK approves this course as the standard for all construction managers and project managers.
The SMSTS course takes place over five days either as a 5-day block or one day a week for five weeks—approximately 37.5 hours of training.
Is a CITB Levy / Grant Claimable?
Yes, companies who are CITB registered can claim £120 grant for each delegate. To allow for the automated process of claiming back the training grant, please ensure that delegates attending the CITB site manager training, take the Levy Number & enter it on the relevant section of the course paperwork. Retrospective claims may not be accepted.
SMSTS Course Content
The main focus of the course content will be risk assessment. The syllabus focuses on learning how to work and manage following the regulations which are stipulated by the Health and Safety at Work Act (HSWA). Topics which are covered include planning, organising, monitoring, controlling and administering:
- CDM Regulations 2015
- Risk Assessments
- Method Statements
- Confined Spaces
- Site Set Up
You are required to attend all 5-days. You will need to show understanding of the main elements and pass the core exercises to prove your competence. At the end there is a final examination. If you pass the exam you will qualify for the CITB Site Management Safety Training Scheme certificate. Your CITB SMSTS certificate will then be valid for five years.
How is the Site Manager Training Assessed?
Assessment is continuous throughout the course via individual and group exercises. Testing of the knowledge learned is in the form of a multiple choice CITB examination paper consisting of twenty five questions. Five of the questions will be safety critical and will require a short written answer.
Safety critical questions are worth one to three points each and multiple choice questions are worth one point each. You are required to answer all of the critical questions correctly. To pass the exam you will need to achieve a score of eighty percent (twenty eight out of thirty five).
Upon successful completion the CITB will issue a certificate within six to eight weeks. Please note that a ‘card’ is not issued.
Attend All Sessions & Provide Photo I.D.
It must be stressed that you need to attend all sessions. Without full attendance the examining body will not award the certificate.
Photographic I.D. is required. Written parental consent is required for all delegates under eighteen years of age. Failure to provide this on the first day is likely to result in not being allowed to attend. You must have a good understanding of written and spoken English. (Please note that translators are not permitted to attend).
CITB Publication / Workbook (GE700)
All CITB SMSTS courses advertised on our website include access to Construction Skills publications. Dependent on the accredited CITB training provider, you will be given the option of taking away training materials in the following formats:
- hard copy workbooks
- access to materials online
Attend the SMSTS Refresher Every Five Years
After 5 years you will need to return for a 2-day SMSTS Refresher. This will ensure you are kept up to date with the latest H&S regulations. Refresher courses are available in most major towns and cities in addition to virtual learning format. By passing and maintaining your certification you are able to prove that you are complying with the laws and regulations. In the event your current certificate has expired you must attend the full 5-day SMSTS course again.
Comparing the CITB SMSTS & SSSTS Qualifications
It is important to choose the right qualification that suits your job position, industry and responsibilities. You’ll need to determine which is best suited for you.
- Both qualifications were introduced in 2002 by the UK government, as a way of improving the awareness level of safety on construction sites.
- These courses are both provided at public venues, virtual learning or you can have the trainer come to your workplace to deliver for a group of people.
These managerial and supervisory qualifications are similar in a lot of ways, however there are differences between the two. One will be better suited than the other. Below we closely at the differences to help you select the correct program.
What’s the Difference?
- Both focus on H&S in the construction environment, but their focus is slightly different. The SMSTS course focuses toward the law and the regulations. The site manager training highlights the practices that are outlined by the HSE and ensures managers are not breaching the law.
- The 5-day site manager qualification lasts for five years and when the qualification is about to expire you can take a 2-day SMSTS refresher. If you pass the exam, you will renew your qualification and be able to use it again for 5 more years. The refresher course covers all of the latest developments in the law and the newest issues in construction.
- The supervisor qualification requires you to take a 1-day SSSTS refresher before your certificate expires to keep your qualification valid. This is a course to update your knowledge.
- The focus of the content of the supervisor qualification is toward increasing awareness and understanding for managers. The focus is on what good practice is and why you need it.
- An introduction to CDM 2015 Regulations is covered on both courses as well as information on how to conduct risk assessments. Conducting risk assessments ensures that you’ll able to identify and prevent accidents in the workplace.
- The SSSTS ends with a thirty minute examination. The exam will be made up of multiple choice questions and answers. The managers training will be evaluated via a series of group based and individual exercises as well as an end-of-course exam. You will need to show that you understand the main elements by passing the core exercises, as well as pass the final examination.
What Else Should I Consider?
Here are a few other things to consider before booking:
- CITB Approved Training Organisation status
- instructor experience
- training provider course cancellation statistics
- customer reviews and quality ratings
- suitability and quality of the training venue
- the price
Do I Need a CSCS Card if I Have the SMSTS Qualification?
Yes, the 5-day SMSTS qualification does not exempt you from having to do the CSCS card test. If you would like to apply for a Construction Skills Certification Scheme card you are required to pass the appropriate level CITB health, safety and environment test for your occupation. Find out which test you need to take by using the online CSCS card-finder at the CSCS website.