How to Get Value for Money!
Here's how to get the best value for money when booking your CITB Site Management Safety Training Scheme qualification:
Although the cost of a CITB SMSTS course should be factored into your decision-making, the quality of the training provider and the course should be considered. Like everything else, training fees and quality of course delivery vary depending on which training provider and instructor deliver it.
High quality construction SMSTS training saves lives, so for the sake of your managers and the site workers they are responsible for - it's wiser and safer to consider the quality factors rather than just the cost.
Here's what you need to consider:
- is the provider accredited by the CITB?
- what's the instructor level of experience?
- how often does the provider cancel their courses?
- what have others said about the training providers course?
- is the training delivered at a suitable venue & location?
- what is the cost of the SMSTS course?
- what is included in the price?
Here's how we collect the feedback from the attendees:
Upon completion of the course, attendees are sent an email request to rate their overall experience. We make it super easy and quick to rate the delivery of the training and to place a few words in the form of a customer comment. The ratings and comments are collected in our system and subsequently published on our site overnight. Envico now have over 1000 provider ratings and genuine customer comments - these contribute significantly in ensuring others can make a more informed decision when booking the SMSTS course.
The CITB SMSTS Course
The CITB SMSTS course, or Site Management Safety Training Scheme is a five day course provided by tutors to over ten thousand people each year. The site manager qualification is ideal for those in any role of responsibility within the construction industry, supervisors as well as proprietors, or for anyone looking to become a site manager in the future. This SMSTS training course is strongly regarded as the best site management qualification available and provides you with a thorough health and safety training background within the current legal guidelines.
The CITB SMSTS training is designed for managers looking to continue or take on a managerial role within construction. The training takes place over five days and will teach the health and safety skills required to maintain a safe construction site.
SMSTS Course Content
The main focus of the SMSTS course will be risk assessment and to learn how to work and manage following the regulations stipulated by the Health and Safety at Work Act.
Topics Covered in the Course Syllabus
Topics which are covered during five day SMSTS courses include planning organising monitoring controlling and administering::
- Risk Assessments
- Method Statements
- Confined Spaces
- Site Set Up
You are required to attend all five days of the SMSTS training in order to be awarded the qualification. During the 5-days delegates will need to show understanding of the main elements and pass the core exercises. At the end of the training you'll be required to sit a final examination, passing the exam will mean you qualify for the certificate which is then valid for five years.
Construction Safety Mgt & Legal Responsibilities
Construction site managers and supervisors have a legal duty to ensure the safety and health of fellow workers and the public. Not only are there laws and regulations to adhere to, there is a moral duty to do all that is possible to prevent accidents and injuries onsite. Therefore training in construction safety is a necessity and a requirement. Attending the training can show you comply with the laws and prepare you to manage a safe site at all times.
5 day CITB SMSTS courses are considered to be an indication of competence of a Site Manager according to the Approved Code of Practice for the Construction Design and Management (CDM Regulations). The course is ideal for Site Managers as well as:
- Proprietors of Construction Companies
- Project Managers
- Site Supervisors
2-Day SMSTS Refresher
After the five years it is necessary to return for a two day SMSTS Refresher course to make sure you are still up to date with the latest H&S regulations.We have refresher courses available in most major towns and cities. By passing and maintaining your training you are able to prove that you are complying with the demands and laws regarding construction health and safety. In the event your current SMSTS certificate has expired you must attend the full five day course again.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are the SMSTS Books Included?
All 5 day SMSTS courses advertised on our website include a Construction Site Safety GE 700 publication. The cost to buy this workbook on its own would be approximately £90.00 or slightly less for CITB levy payers.
Dependent on the accredited CITB training provider, delegates are given the option of taking away course materials in the following formats
- hard copy workbooks
- access to a materials online
Will I Be Issued With a SMSTS Card or a Certificate?
- Upon successful completion of the course the CITB will not issue a SMSTS card, however an official CITB accredited certificate will be provided within 6 - 8 weeks. It must be stressed to all course attendees the need to attend all sessions since without full attendance the examining body will not award the CITB SMSTS certificate.
Do I Need CSCS if I Have SMSTS?
- Yes. The 5 day Site Management Safety Training Scheme qualification does not exempt you from having to do the CSCS test and card. If you would like to apply for a Construction Skills Certification Scheme card you are required to pass the appropriate level CITB Health, safety and environment test for your occupation. Find out which test you need to take by using the online card-finder at the CSCS website.
If I Pass the Course Can I Apply for Site Manager Jobs?
- The SMSTS is a sought after qualification by employers operating within construction. Many construction jobs and positions of responsibility now ask for the nationally recognised certificate. SMSTS jobs which require this qualification and certification include Construction Site Managers, Groundworks Manager, Site Agents, Assistant Site Manager, Section Engineers and project Managers.
- Alternatively, if you are a supervisor looking for jobs in construction or requiring appropriate training you can complete the 2 day SSSTS course designed for site supervisors.