Each year people die or are seriously injured as a result of fires at work. Besides loss of life, fire costs UK business millions of pounds, from damage to property, loss of business, fines, compensation claims and insurance premiums. Many fires can be avoided by taking fire precautions. If a fire does break out, the effects can be minimised by having effective controls and procedures in place.
Employers must provide all employees with fire safety instruction and fire safety training so that they know what to do in the event of a fire.
Everyone Must Know the Following
- how to raise the alarm if they discover a fire
- how to contact the fire brigade
- how to use the fire-fighting equipment
- how and where to evacuate the building
- where to assemble and who to report to