In answer to the question ‘Is the SMSTS training available online?’ the short answer is now ‘Yes’.
It is now possible to attend the SMSTS and SMSTS Refresher in ‘Virtual Trainer’ format during COVID-19 Lockdown and the foreseeable future.
If you have arrived here looking for an online course for the CITB site managers program or the refresher qualification, the suitable option is Virtual Learning (using video technology).
Scheme Rules have been implemented by the Construction Industry Training Board as a result of extraordinary circumstances impacting the regular provision of training to the construction industry. This measure is designed to maintain a level of training in the industry for existing Site Managers, ensuring a continued understanding of legislative changes and their impact on the workplace. During the COVID-19 lockdown both the SMSTS (Virtual) and SMSTS Refresher (Virtual) courses can be attended at home or in the workplace. Virtual training delivers effective learning with a live tutor via video technology.
It remains to be seen if the virtual courses will be available beyond the COVID-19 and lockdown periods, however virtual training is without doubt proving preferable for some individuals and organisations.
Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic the Construction Industry Training Board courses were only offered in a traditional classroom setting due to quality standards and strict examination conditions. Recent events have forced some major examination bodies and institutes to enable virtual studying during lockdown to ensure health and safety knowledge and qualifications are kept up to date. Subsequently the SMSTS is now available in virtual learning (using video technology).
You might also find that virtual learning is a more cost effective way for the supervisors and managers within your organisation to receive their training.
Reasons to Take the Training
Ensuring that all of your managers and supervisors have the appropriate health and safety training is a legal requirement and it is also very important for many other reasons.
Here are some of the reasons why it is crucial to have a good knowledge base through Site Management Safety training:
- Correct health and safety procedures can help you to avoid an accident in the workplace that could have serious negative consequences such as injury, illness or death.
- You will be able to avoid expensive legal fees and fines because you will be covered for liability if an accident does occur.
- Accidents, damage, work absences and downtime can have a seriously negative effect on the profits of your business. Proper health and safety training will help you to avoid this.
- Workplace accidents will also have a negative effect on your reputation. This will make it more difficult to hire great talent and to build relationships with other companies. No one will want to work with you or work for you if you are seen to be carrying out your operations in an unsafe way.
- Employee morale can also be negatively affected by lack of health and safety training. When things are unsafe and dangerous, your employees will believe that you don’t care about their well-being. When you invest in their safety, you are showing them that you value them.