The Site Management Safety Training Scheme is an ideal foundation for obtaining a basic understanding of health and safety duties and responsibilities for a management position. However, if you haven’t studied or taken a course since you were at school it can be slightly intimidating. Perhaps studying feels strange to you now, or you have forgotten the study techniques that you used to know.
Don’t worry too much about how you will perform in the SMSTS… the course is suitable for people of all types of backgrounds and studying abilities.
Study Tips for Taking the Site Management Safety Training Scheme
- If you receive coursework to do outside of class, don’t wait until the last minute to do it. The stress is not worth it and you won’t do as good of a job. Instead, try to do it right after class or decide a regular time which you will dedicate to completing assignments.
- Your brain can get tired when you are concentrating for too long. When you are studying, take regular breaks every 30 minutes to walk around, stretch, get some fresh air or get a drink of water. This will help to keep your mind alert and improve your concentration.
- Staying hydrated is very important when studying; it helps to keep you alert and also alleviates stress and anxiety.
- Keep yourself well rested while doing the Site Management Safety Training Scheme course. If you are sleep deprived in class or while studying, you will find it difficult to concentrate and to remember the information you are learning. Go to bed early during the week while you are taking the course and especially the night before the exam.
- Rewrite important points in your own words. This will help you to understand them a lot, because your brain will be able to remember them better.
- Everyone has a different learning style. Some people focus better when they are studying on their own and others remember things better when they talk them over with a partner. Figure out your study style so that you can tailor studying toward it.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. If you don’t understand something, ask for clarification from your course instructor until it makes sense.
- During the exam, stay calm, take deep breaths and don’t panic. When you are in a relaxed and calm state of mind you will be able to perform much better and will have improved memory and concentration.
With these study tips for the Site Management Safety Training Scheme, you should be able to complete your course with an excellent score and receive the qualification you need to further your career.
Re-qualify with SMSTS Refresher
Other Construction Health and Safety Courses
- SSSTS – Site Supervisor Safety Training Scheme
- NEBOSH Construction Certificate
- Health & Safety Awareness (HSA)
- CDM 2015 in Practice
Related Posts & Content
- IOSH Managing Safely
- NEBOSH General Certificate
- Tips for pursuing a career in health and safety
- Construction site safety training
- What you need to know about site management safety
- The biggest mistakes managers make
- What makes SMSTS courses so popular in construction?
- How to conduct a risk assessment
- Construction site safety management and the CDM regulations